The Joy of Parenting

By Liam
I was reading a post on one of my favorite bloggers Ugly Black John and it got me to thinking about the things ive had to accept to keep a smile on my daughters face. i have drawings and crafts made in art class, most of them are horrible but hey these are the things good parents do right? lie to their kids.

lying to your kids is an art, its all about the timing. now for the parents that lie to their kids about silly shit like "you can be a princess surgeon firefighting police olympic gold medalist president" they need to shut up, its confusing my kid, who figured out on her own that-that shit is impossible.

but when they bring home a big pile of WTF its okay to smile and be overly amazed at their crappy creation. its encouragement or something... i dunno how it works but my gut says "you better tell this little girl that this thing you're holding in your hand is beautiful" for example :

in some sort of physics defying way this doohickey is a soap holder, from this i have obtained great info, i know the school of arts is probably not the best bet for her college future. bullet dodged, observant dad of the year award goes to...yep this guy posting the blog...high five.

now, there have been things that she has given me that has helped me in more ways than one, in my perpetual state of damn i fucked that up too, i have my bouts of fatherly doubt and when im at my lowest point i look at this drawing she made for me :


to me it says that shes happy with my performance as a dad, and so long as shes smiling i must be doing at least one thing right. for me doing one thing right means im not doing everything wrong, not exactly the score i want but its better than 0 for 0.

over the years i've been saving all of her drawings and scrawls,

i have no idea what im going to do with them maybe when shes much older thumb through them together to show her humble beginnings and remind her that she sucked at something in life and that's alright with me.


 

2 comments so far.

  1. brohammas November 29, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    The soap holder is simply miss-named. That my friend, is an homage to bacon. I love bacon and any museum curator would be a fool to pass on it/
  2. Liam November 30, 2010 at 2:08 AM
    HA, ahh the beauty of art! perhaps you are right its simply an homage to bacon with the title "soap holder" wow, my daughter is deep... i had no idea.

Something to say?